Staff Builds - The Nation Decides (Black Diamond)

Which build was your favorite?

• @David's Stock Horse

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • @dwrock's Tailgater

Votes: 15 51.7%

• Total voters

gibsBRonCO

Rank V

Promoter III

Mar 21, 2020
Cuchara, CO, USA
Member #

I'm not mad that the 4 door is available, its just that the demographic that buys 4 doors will dilute the brand.Most 4 door buyers are buying them for people movers that will never see offroad, eventually Bronco will end up like the Chevy Blazer.
I do have to disagree a bit with this. Out on the trails the built 4-door Wrangler is the Jeep you mainly see now. My guess is 70+ per cent of JKs and JLs you see wheeling are Unlimiteds. The added wheel base just performs better off road in most situations. There are places where the shorter wheelbase is an advantage (tight turns, extreme breakovers, etc.) but in my experience the added wheelbase usually has the advantage. I think you will see a lot of built 4-door Broncos on the trails in the future. Sure, the 4-door will appeal to the grocery getters - that's where Ford will get the volume sales. I don't see this as diluting the brand.

That said, Bronco will be a brand of its own (starting with adding the Sport) and Ford may someday brand something like the new Blazer in the Bronco family. (This is only my uneducated speculation!) That may "dilute" the brand in some peoples opinion, but I don't think the 4-door will.

TCopp

Rank V

Champion III

Jun 26, 2020
Olathe, KS, USA
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Copple
Member #

Sorry my family of four that forces me to get a four door is diluting the Bronco name for you Bronco5.0. I promise I will do my best to off road it as much as possible, and not be a mall crawler.

I still love you.

Bronc96

Rank VI

Champion I

Jul 11, 2020
Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Henderson
Member #

I agree, we need the 4 dr sales for the overall success of the new Bronco. I am a traditionalist when it comes to my Broncos and only have interest in the 2 dr with manual. Heck, I would prefer if there was an option for a manual/lever engaged transfer case! :p However, Ford needs the Bronco to appeal to the masses to maximize profit and I am good with that if it allows me to get the Bronc I have been waiting a looong time for. I look at it this way, all the 4 doors running around will make my 2 dr ManSquatch stand out!

Bronc96

Rank VI

Champion I

Jul 11, 2020
Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Henderson
Member #

Going back to the original Bronco in 1966. More comfort and better on road handling were big selling points for the original. This is Motortrend's review of the Bronco written in 1966 for some interesting reading about where this whole started from. https://www.motortrend.com/news/1966-ford-bronco-first-detroit-test/
Cool read, thanks for sharing!

My Dad and I were just talking about this last night during Thanksgiving dinner. Crazy to think the 66 Bronc was almost thought of as "luxurious" because we were used to the Willys being the off road option up to that point (or Scout 1 which wasn't much better).

Reactions: Deano Bronc

Bronco5.0

Rank VI

Champion I

May 29, 2020
USA
Member #

I agree, we need the 4 dr sales for the overall success of the new Bronco. I am a traditionalist when it comes to my Broncos and only have interest in the 2 dr with manual. Heck, I would prefer if there was an option for a manual/lever engaged transfer case! :p However, Ford needs the Bronco to appeal to the masses to maximize profit and I am good with that if it allows me to get the Bronc I have been waiting a looong time for. I look at it this way, all the 4 doors running around will make my 2 dr ManSquatch stand out!
I would be good with manual lever and hubs.

I just don't want to see the Bronco end up emasculated like every thing else in this country.

BroncoMax

Rank V

Super Supporter III

Aug 8, 2020
Alva, FL, USA
First Name
Max
Last Name
Radcliff
I voted for the 2 door as that is what Bronco was. If I was in charge they would not make a 4 door.
Hell yeah, with a pure WHITE BRONCO! Too! Really upset about this.....hoping Ford would get it act together....MAKE a WHITE BRONCO!!!!!!!!!!! JESUS!

BroncoMax

Rank V

Super Supporter III

Aug 8, 2020
Alva, FL, USA
First Name
Max
Last Name
Radcliff
I work at Ford in engineering and I've got my Bronco reservation. In my personal opinion, I would have been shocked had they told us we were only making a 2 door. The 2 door is a really cool truck and I'm glad we did it. A lot of potential buyers won't consider it because it's a 2 door. The 4 door is a better family vehicle and less of a niche product than the 2 door. Jeep Wranglers sales volumes are higher for 4 door. I think it's about 60% 4 door and will be more since the Gladiator is a 4 door also. Not making the 4 door would have been giving away a ton of potential customers.

We have the Mustang Mach E which is a 4 door. Have to wait and see how it does in sales. The Mustang Mach E GT is going to be responsible for embarrassing a lot of Challengers, Camaros and ICE Mustangs at red lights with it's 3 second 0 to 60 times.
WHY doesn't FORD go all the way retro? Where is the white interior, Top? I stripper Bronco? Some of us want one.... Jeep offers them.....( roll up windows and no power door locks!!!!!!!!! a plus to me) I have been waiting for the white edtion I saw something awhile back about white and grey interior!!!!! You being an engineer>>> should know BLACK gets HOT! Right? That is why the original had white interior as an option. DUH! I don't care if it has to be vinyl!!!!! Jeep offers tan seats at least! Listen to your customers! Ford sold millions of strippo Mustangs!!!! I hate electronic crap. Sorry for ranting.... but stop the over KILL!!!!!!!!! This as a BRONCO! not a Lincoln!!!!! Open AIR>>> topless>>>> WHITE!!!!!!!!! Please respond why Ford ignores us? I'm about ready to jump ship, and buy something else. I have a reservation.

BroncoMax

Rank V

Super Supporter III

Aug 8, 2020
Alva, FL, USA
First Name
Max
Last Name
Radcliff
I’m not a powertrain engineer so I don’t know the answer to your remote start question.

You need enough volume to payback the development costs. Will you get it with just the volume of the 2 door alone? Probably not without raising the price a lot. Why be mad that a 4 door is available? It makes the 2 door possible and cheaper for the customer then it would be without the 4 door.
Beano counting!!!!!

BroncoMax

Rank V

Super Supporter III

Aug 8, 2020
Alva, FL, USA
First Name
Max
Last Name
Radcliff

BroncoMax

Rank V

Super Supporter III

Aug 8, 2020
Alva, FL, USA
First Name
Max
Last Name
Radcliff
Now, that brought back fond memories. Especially in paragraph #5. I am of course referring to the Mustang-like bucket seats! ;)
Yeap with white interiors, or a host of other colors! What happened? Japan? Europe with their crappy ugly black interiors and cheap vinyl interiors of the seventies.? Not all Jap cars were great. I saw plenty of them that were junk. Rust rice baskets. German cars that wouldn't run.....I worked at a Buick dealership in 1977 as a kid(19) when GM made some good cars. Big, intermate, and compact ones Electras, Lesabres, Skylarks.... the little ones were crap. Awesome interiors, with beautiful color interiors. Now we have basically different colors of BLACK, BLACK< BLACK< aweful! I hate it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You know it would be a gre

David

Rank VI
Staff member
Super Moderator

Promoter II

Mar 19, 2020
Southgate, MI, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Liebmann
Member #

Going back to the original Bronco in 1966. More comfort and better on road handling were big selling points for the original. This is Motortrend's review of the Bronco written in 1966 for some interesting reading about where this whole started from. https://www.motortrend.com/news/1966-ford-bronco-first-detroit-test/
WHITE INTERIOR>>>>COMFORT IN THE HOT SUN!!!!!!!!!!!!! No?
Let me chime in with a different perspective here. I understand the arguments against dark seats. I spent most of my life in the south and have hopped into a black leather seat when it’s 110 degrees in the shade. It doesn’t feel great.

However, I’ve also seen plenty of white interiors that look really bad well before they should because it shows stains and wears more easily than darker colors. Most of what Ford has said about the interior color choices revolve around durability and the color’s ability to hide dirt and dust. They’ve leaned very heavily, perhaps too heavily, into the rugged off-road point of view as opposed to the open air cruising point of view. Crawling some rough trails is a great thing to do in your Bronco but cruising down one of America’s great scenic byways with the top down is pretty great too.*

Given those design decisions, the color choices make sense. Also, as a guy who watches our lighter color merchandise inventory sell much slower than the darker items, I can understand sticking with what sells. I have a similar critique about t-shirts, y’all buy a lot of black even though that’s less pleasant in the hot sun. But, as a guy who spills coffee on myself with disturbing regularity, it doesn’t take too many ruined white shirts to convince me that I’m going to stick with black.

Just one perspective among many.

*Shout out to cruising down the Blue Ridge Parkway in high summer. I know doing it in the fall is conventionally thought of as the best time but I think doing it when the trees are at their greenest is underrated.

RynoPSU

Rank IV

Supporter II

Sep 17, 2020
Novi, MI, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Craig
Let me chime in with a different perspective here. I understand the arguments against dark seats. I spent most of my life in the south and have hopped into a black leather seat when it’s 110 degrees in the shade. It doesn’t feel great.

However, I’ve also seen plenty of white interiors that look really bad well before they should because it shows stains and wears more easily than darker colors. Most of what Ford has said about the interior color choices revolve around durability and the color’s ability to hide dirt and dust. They’ve leaned very heavily, perhaps too heavily, into the rugged off-road point of view as opposed to the open air cruising point of view. Crawling some rough trails is a great thing to do in your Bronco but cruising down one of America’s great scenic byways with the top down is pretty great too.*
I have to agree on this. I once sat through a review of truck durability vehicle that had a very white interior. After going through the Arizona off road cycle a bunch of times the main comment everyone had was how horrible it looked.

My personal wish is we had a tan or light grey interior in addition to all the dark interiors. If you go look at what Jeep currently offers with the Wrangler, they have black interiors and a few tan options. There is no white, light grey, or other light colored interiors available. Many versions only have black interiors available.

gibsBRonCO

Rank V

Promoter III

Mar 21, 2020
Cuchara, CO, USA
Member #

I have been around Broncos a long time - bought my first one in 1980. I am not a fan of white (or Parchment) interiors. Of the 3 early Broncos I own today one is the original ginger houndstooth and the other 2 I have changed to black. This is just my preference. You say, that's fine if you live in Colorado but this was all done while living in Texas for 7 years. It's not just Ford, very few manufacturers are offering light interiors nowadays.

@BroncoMax, I guess you could always go with some lighter seat covers if this is a deal breaker for you.

Over the past few years I, along with selected others, have given Ford some "Bronco enthusiast" feedback on what we wanted (through Bronco Club involvement and participation in focus groups). I will have to say that Ford did listen to us on a number of items - but the exterior and interior color palettes not so much! We all recommended having at least a couple retro color options along with a white roof option which would really be great for marketing to the current Bronco enthusiasts. But the target market (the future) are the NEW owners so Ford has presented a "modern" color scheme. I am hopeful Ford will offer limited models in the future with more retro touches - as Jeep has done.

Hikesalone

Rank 0

Advocate I

Jan 17, 2021
Monterey Park, CA, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Shimatsu
Recently retired, I finally have the means and opportunity to purchase a vehicle dedicated toward having fun! The Black Diamond package seems to have the right balance of features for highway comfort but with the ability to get me to the remote trails I seek.

Like @Dave I’m going with BD model, 2 door, manual trans, steel wheels, cactus gray, padded headliner, roof rack, floor mats. As a newcomer to offroading, the money saved by “keeping it simple” will go towards buying other basic necessities: satellite gps, rotopacs, recovery gear, tent, cooler, etc.

Thanks to Bronco design/marketing for offering customers flexibility on a great platform!

tracythemighty

Rank II

Advocate III

Jul 15, 2020
Cincinnati, OH, USA
First Name
Tracy
Last Name
D
I work at Ford in engineering and I've got my Bronco reservation. In my personal opinion, I would have been shocked had they told us we were only making a 2 door. The 2 door is a really cool truck and I'm glad we did it. A lot of potential buyers won't consider it because it's a 2 door. The 4 door is a better family vehicle and less of a niche product than the 2 door. Jeep Wranglers sales volumes are higher for 4 door. I think it's about 60% 4 door and will be more since the Gladiator is a 4 door also. Not making the 4 door would have been giving away a ton of potential customers.

We have the Mustang Mach E which is a 4 door. Have to wait and see how it does in sales. The Mustang Mach E GT is going to be responsible for embarrassing a lot of Challengers, Camaros and ICE Mustangs at red lights with it's 3 second 0 to 60 times.
What version did you end up ordering? I'm just curious since you work at Ford... I am still stuck in the process. I want a fully loaded BL, but I don't really need a fully loaded BL. I guess I'm just trying to decide if less will be ok for me since I am a newbie to off-roading. I could get the BD which is kind of the BL jr. but I can't get the high package with it; which makes me want to go back to the BL. Also, if I pay 60+k will I really go off-road that often and chance denting it all up? Decisions, decisions...

Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Don't delete

May 20, 2020
Winona Lake, IN, USA
First Name
Dean
Last Name
Smeltzer
Member #

What version did you end up ordering? I'm just curious since you work at Ford... I am still stuck in the process. I want a fully loaded BL, but I don't really need a fully loaded BL. I guess I'm just trying to decide if less will be ok for me since I am a newbie to off-roading. I could get the BD which is kind of the BL jr. but I can't get the high package with it; which makes me want to go back to the BL. Also, if I pay 60+k will I really go off-road that often and chance denting it all up? Decisions, decisions...
I was at the same point. I was really looking at the BD to save a little money. I really wanted the 12" screen plus some of the other creature comforts which put me up to the BL. I think the BD is really capable in our area but maybe not out west at Moab or the Rubicon. I'm for sure not going to trash my Bronco but I plan to take it on trails or the dunes.

Reactions: tracythemighty

RynoPSU

Rank IV

Supporter II

Sep 17, 2020
Novi, MI, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Craig
I will rarely offroad with mine. I know that. Maybe an occasional trip to Silver Lake dunes or the Holly ORV park. Not more than once a summer. I will take 3 to 12 hour road trips for skiing every other weekend all winter. I also windsurf/SUP in summer and need to load stuff onto the roof on a regular basis.

I put my order in yesterday for an OBX, Anti Matter Blue with Navy Pier cloth seats, 2.3L, advanced 4x4, High series and black modular roof with added sound deadening headliner.

I had a meeting at work to review something on actual Broncos and lucked out and saw both OBX interiors (Frankenbroncos with mismatched IP"s and Seats) and a BD. There was a few squatched vehicles and 1 BB that base height.

In person I really like the look of the Navy Pier dash over the BD or OBX roast dash. I don't like the Navy Pier leather seat look. Too much like blue vinyl airline seats. I think the color scheme looks better in cloth. The BD looks like the Black and Grey shown in the photos. In normal indoor lighting the grey on the seats and dash isn't as light.

The MGV is nice and soft feeling. I like the feel of it better than the leather/vinyl feel. It feels more soft and a bit stretchier. Less material sag look in the seats.

We were reviewing something on the roofs of the vehicle. Roof access was much easier with running boards. They are a need for me. The rock rails look better but I need the steps.

One hard top had the sound deadening. The vehicle roof on the inside looks much better with it. I wanted it to help with noise but the appearance is much better.

Squatched vehicles are really high off the ground for vehicle ingress/egress. I wasn't considering it. It's a definite no for me after crawling in and out of a few and trying to look at the roofs. It's a very large step up climbing into the seat. I think a lot of people may not really realize what they are getting into with these. I'd need to bring a ladder along for loading the roof.

I went straight to a Ford dealer after reviewing vehicles at work. The first thing I did was go test drive a Ranger crewcab with a 2.3L. The 2.3L feels fine for daily driving. It doesn't feel weak or lack power at all. I'm not feeling the 2.7L is needed at all.

The Ranger was still in "Transport mode" when I got in it which I think defaults to 4H. I wasn't expecting it to be in 4H. When I backed out of the parking space it bucked and felt really rough and awful because of the driveline binding. I had to put it in neutral to get it to shift to 2H which I think was because of Transport mode" since it has electronic shift on the fly. I was 90% sure I wanted advanced 4x4 to get the 4auto mode which can be driven on dry pavement. After this little experience in the parking lot I'm 100% certain advanced 4x4 is an absolute necessity for driving on a day when it's mixed snow and dry/wet pavement.

Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Don't delete

May 20, 2020
Winona Lake, IN, USA
First Name
Dean
Last Name
Smeltzer
Member #

Squatched vehicles are really high off the ground for vehicle ingress/egress. I wasn't considering it. It's a definite no for me after crawling in and out of a few and trying to look at the roofs. It's a very large step up climbing into the seat. I think a lot of people may not really realize what they are getting into with these. I'd need to bring a ladder along for loading the roof.
Thanks for the write up. Much appreciated. I am getting a squatched BL so this is somewhat of a concern for me. I had a daily driver Excursion for over 12 years and I can't imagine it would be worse than that. Although I got rid of it 4 years ago and my wife and I are not getting any younger plus it had running boards. I don't really care for the Ford running boards and will be looking for the tube with individual front and rear steps from the AM for the Bronco.
Were the "Oh sh*t" handles in a good place to help you get into the vehicle?

RynoPSU

Rank IV

Supporter II

Sep 17, 2020
Novi, MI, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Craig
Were the "Oh sh*t" handles in a good place to help you get into the vehicle?
The only grab handle on the driver's seat is the one at the outboard edge of the instrument panel. In my opinion, it's too low to be useful getting in and out. I would prefer the A-Pillar mounted handles like the F150/Expedition have that are higher you can pull yourself up with.

Reactions: Deano Bronc