Roof Rails on Badlands/Sasq

Advocate I

Sep 1, 2020
St. Augustine, FL, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Draughon
Am I missing something on the B&P that I can't add Roof Rails on the Bad Lands/Sasq variant? On a related note, anyone recommend alternative config using aftermarket for rails, light bar with one of the Yakama racks?

Reactions: BuzzyBud

Bronc96

Rank VI

Champion I

Jul 11, 2020
Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Henderson
Member #

Am I missing something on the B&P that I can't add Roof Rails on the Bad Lands/Sasq variant? On a related note, anyone recommend alternative config using aftermarket for rails, light bar with one of the Yakama racks?
@TCopp is correct, the word is some of the optional equip is impacting the GVWR limitation which seems crazy for what is supposed to be a heavy duty off road capable truck. As far as AM options for those items, I haven't seen much yet but multiple companies have released they are in process with designing equip for the new Bronc. I would not be worried...there will be a plethora of support from the AM vendors similar to Jeep. :)

Reactions: Chris Draughon

Witchdoctor68

Rank II

Super Supporter II

Dec 21, 2020
Southern CA
First Name
Carter
Last Name
Peterson
The aftermarket options will be very plentiful. Companies like Goosegear are already announcing they have been working with ford to develop products. I would not be worried about not being able to find anything you want a few months after release of the Bronco.

samanator

Rank V

Supporter I

Oct 10, 2020
Pompano Beach FL
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Martin
Member #

I would be leary of aftermarket ones. I had OEM on My Honda truck and they are perfect with no new noises introduced to the vehicle even up to 100mph. Our Infiniti SUV does not have an OEM cross rail and the only Aftermarket ones I could find whistle going down the road at any speed over 30 mph. I would seek the Ford ones from the parts counter or online source. No matter what you put up there it's going to add weight high in the vehicle so you'll be exceeding GWVR no matter what you do. The new Defender uses an aftermarket roof rack made by one of the same aftermarket companies making things for the Bronco. All reviews note it whistles going down the road. Stick with OEM is my advice. Who cares if you have to order it after the fact. Do you really need to finance a $300 roof rack in the cost of the vehicle?

BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Champion I

Aug 7, 2020
Atkinson, New Hampshire, USA
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Parlee
Member #

First off, you are not the first to discover how the B&P system has some dependencies. Keep in mind, those were placed there for a reason.

Like yourself, I plan to purchase a 2021 Bronco Badlands. The Badlands model is a superbly engineered vehicle. It should successfully allow me to complete many difficult trails. Achieving that goal required an understanding of dynamic and static weight limits as well as gross vehicle weight rating.

As you research aftermarket roof rail alternatives, the following thread might be of interest.
Rhino-Rack Pioneer Platform Backbone Rack | Bronco Nation Forum (thebronconation.com)

Please keep in mind, it is not as simple as finding an aftermarket roof rail that will fit your Bronco. You should gain a working knowledge of GVWR and how a rail system might impact the options you select when ordering your Badlands. Although I hope to purchase a system such as the Backbone Rack identified in the thread above, it requires me to adjust my Badlands options to avoid weight issues based on my intended use during multi-day camping trips.

Remember both the Badlands and the First Edition are the most capable models. As such, they can have the most challenging weight issues based on your intended use.

Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Don't delete

May 20, 2020
Winona Lake, IN, USA
First Name
Dean
Last Name
Smeltzer
Member #

I just like the look of them rails. I'll probably never rig anything up there and risk scratching them up. I'm getting a 4-door for cargo space. Pulling a camp trailer.
Yeah, you should be able to buy them from the dealer and install them yourself.
According to your favorite build, were you going with manual or automatic transmission?
If manual with squatch, you would be looking at a MY22 anyways which might make the roof rails possible from the factory.

BTW - love your music. (y)

Reactions: BuzzyBud

Advocate I

Sep 1, 2020
St. Augustine, FL, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Draughon
First off, you are not the first to discover how the B&P system has some dependencies. Keep in mind, those were placed there for a reason.

Like yourself, I plan to purchase a 2021 Bronco Badlands. The Badlands model is a superbly engineered vehicle. It should successfully allow me to complete many difficult trails. Achieving that goal required an understanding of dynamic and static weight limits as well as gross vehicle weight rating.

As you research aftermarket roof rail alternatives, the following thread might be of interest.
Rhino-Rack Pioneer Platform Backbone Rack | Bronco Nation Forum (thebronconation.com)

Please keep in mind, it is not as simple as finding an aftermarket roof rail that will fit your Bronco. You should gain a working knowledge of GVWR and how a rail system might impact the options you select when ordering your Badlands. Although I hope to purchase a system such as the Backbone Rack identified in the thread above, it requires me to adjust my Badlands options to avoid weight issues based on my intended use during multi-day camping trips.

Remember both the Badlands and the First Edition are the most capable models. As such, they can have the most challenging weight issues based on your intended use.
Thanks for the feedback. I admit I'm not familiar with the details you mention. I'm mostly interested in a flat platform option for elevated photography. But its good to know about the GVWR.