Supporter II

Aug 7, 2020
New Hampshire, USA
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Parlee
Member #

As we contemplate methods for video recording our adventures, though I should up my game with the iPhone platform. Grabbed an iPhone 12Pro this AM as the preorder window opened at 5:00AM PT. With the GoPro mounted on the exterior, I hope to use the iPhone on the picatinny rail. Maybe swing it around to capture video of my dog Buddy sitting in the middle of the back seat, tongue hanging out and a look that says, “Hey Dad, this is wicked fun!”

TCopp

Rank V

Champion III

Jun 26, 2020
Olathe, KS, USA
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Copple
Member #

I have my preorder for the Pro Max in my phones calendar. Those video recording specs look pretty good. HDR and Atmos? Sign me up. I have the 11 Pro Max now, and the video recording is already awesome.

tlowell01

Rank V

Don't delete

Aug 22, 2020
Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Lowell
Member #

Didn't expect to see a post about iPhones in the Bronco forums! I haven't owned an iPhone since the original. I'm not a fan of the closed ecosystem Apple wants you to live in, so I've been in android land ever since.

Regardless of the hardware used, I can't wait to see photos and videos of folks Bronco adventures, especially if they involve 4 legged Bronco fans. I can't wait to see the wind in the fur of my dog Houndwick, but he's an old man now, so he'll probably just be curled up in the back seat trying to nap.

nic

Rank V

Champion III

Jul 22, 2020
Marietta, GA, USA
First Name
Nic
Last Name
Cannington
Member #

Good thread @BuzzyBud. I was actually debating the same thing. My iPhone is everything for me though (texts, music, navigation, phone). Is there going to be any drawbacks tethering it for video only? Are all the necessities going to pump through carplay while the phone is videoing? Any space issues (having to dump to computer - rather than inserting a new card). Just thinking through this stuff, as I'd much rather have one device to rule them all.

Reactions: gothavit and Pyckse

BuzzyBud

Rank V

Supporter II

Aug 7, 2020
New Hampshire, USA
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Parlee
Member #

Good thread @BuzzyBud. I was actually debating the same thing. My iPhone is everything for me though (texts, music, navigation, phone). Is there going to be any drawbacks tethering it for video only? Are all the necessities going to pump through carplay while the phone is videoing? Any space issues (having to dump to computer - rather than inserting a new card). Just thinking through this stuff, as I'd much rather have one device to rule them all.
When it comes to creating lengthy videos, the GoPro will be my go-to device. I have a 1T laptop which will store my videos and I can off-load them to a 1T Samsung hard drive. The challenge with GoPro is the time it takes to create the videos in their laptop software. The software is great and it allows you to stream your creations via YouTube. Keep in mind, YouTube has software to eliminate a lot of the shaking that normally occurs during video creation. Although I have a gimble, I much prefer the YouTube software. My use of the iPhone 12 Pro for Bronco related videos will be a new experience. Like most, my iPhone videos have been short in duration so I have not been too concerned with memory capacity. If your goal is to only have an iPhone, you might want to off-load to the cloud.

I currently do not know enough about the Bronco trail guide software or the Bronco trail recording software. It sounds like the trail guides will be resident on the Sync 4 software and not require a continuous WiFi connection once the download has occurred. However, how would the GPS tracking occur if the system is not connected to either WiFi or Cellular. Maybe tethering it to your iPhone cellular is the way to go. Do not know! For me, many sections of The Great North Woods in NH and ME have neither WiFi or Cellular and that will be my playground. Hopefully, more information will be coming.

Garemlin

Rank VI

Champion III

May 20, 2020
Clayton, Delaware, DE, USA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Walt
Member #

My son-in-law works for Verizon and we are hoping to get a 11 pro if they go on sale. It's to replace my wife's Iphone 8 which is on its last leg.
I think there are some good deals on the 11 pro right now. But in all honesty the 12 and 12 pro have the best deals right now depending on your wireless carrier. I got $440 off in monthly credits through Verizon.

Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Don't delete

May 20, 2020
Winona Lake, IN, USA
First Name
Dean
Last Name
Smeltzer
Member #

I think there are some good deals on the 11 pro right now. But in all honesty the 12 and 12 pro have the best deals right now depending on your wireless carrier. I got $440 off in monthly credits through Verizon.
Funny thing that you mention that, my son in law basically said the same thing. Some good deals on the new 12. (y)

Garemlin

Rank VI

Champion III

May 20, 2020
Clayton, Delaware, DE, USA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Walt
Member #

Funny thing that you mention that, my son in law basically said the same thing. Some good deals on the new 12. (y)
And if you look at the specs you will see there isn't much of a difference between the 12 and the 12 Pro. The Pro does take 60fps video in HDR Dolby Vison. But 60fps is really only beneficial if you plan to record slow motion. For regular video recording 30fps in HDR is plenty adequate. Which is what the regular 12 does. And you can record 1080p in 60fps. Personally I don't feel the need to record video on my phone in 4k.

David

Rank VI
Staff member
Super Moderator

Champion I

Mar 19, 2020
First Name
David
Last Name
Liebmann
Member #

As we contemplate methods for video recording our adventures, though I should up my game with the iPhone platform. Grabbed an iPhone 12Pro this AM as the preorder window opened at 5:00AM PT. With the GoPro mounted on the exterior, I hope to use the iPhone on the picatinny rail. Maybe swing it around to capture video of my dog Buddy sitting in the middle of the back seat, tongue hanging out and a look that says, “Hey Dad, this is wicked fun!”
The Overlander build at Super Cel East included a phone mount for the picatinny rail. This could work.

*edited to include photo*28D03E3D-3223-4BFB-96C7-7961C2BECFD9.jpeg

Rgwinn

Rank V

Supporter II

Jul 20, 2020
Salem, OR, USA
First Name
Rod
Last Name
Gwinn
Member #

I am looking at getting a ram mount for my iPhone, and tablet from 67 Design, they are working on mounts for the Bronco

Jakob1972

Rank V

Don't delete

Aug 17, 2020
1030 Park Rd 31, Spring Branch, TX, USA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Jakob
Member #

And if you look at the specs you will see there isn't much of a difference between the 12 and the 12 Pro. The Pro does take 60fps video in HDR Dolby Vison. But 60fps is really only beneficial if you plan to record slow motion. For regular video recording 30fps in HDR is plenty adequate. Which is what the regular 12 does. And you can record 1080p in 60fps. Personally I don't feel the need to record video on my phone in 4k.
What IPhone 12, dang I just upgraded from a 6 year old 5c, for a 6 plus back in April.

BuzzyBud

Rank V

Supporter II

Aug 7, 2020
New Hampshire, USA
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Parlee
Member #

The Overlander build at Super Cel East included a phone mount for the picatinny rail. This could work.

*edited to include photo*View attachment 4716
@David in your closeup picture of the Overland Bronco dash, it would appear the CB radio is a Stryker SR-447HPC2 10 Meter. Would it be possible to confirm that guess? That seems very high end and not your typical recreational CB radio. Also, was it attached to the picatinny rail? Can you also confirm the power source? In the picture it looks like it was not made operational? (Sorry if all these questions are not in your pay grade so to speak.) :)

David

Rank VI
Staff member
Super Moderator

Champion I

Mar 19, 2020
First Name
David
Last Name
Liebmann
Member #

This picture would seem to confirm that model number. It was mounted on the rail. I can confirm that it wasn’t turned on at Super Cel. Also, yummy hero switches, am I right? C5A51EAE-FBC3-4F99-858D-C8AD6C583AFD.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: BuzzyBud

BuzzyBud

Rank V

Supporter II

Aug 7, 2020
New Hampshire, USA
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Parlee
Member #

This picture would seem to confirm that model number. It was mounted on the rail. I can confirm that it wasn’t turned on at Super Cel. Also, yummy hero switches, am I right? View attachment 4779
Excellent! Thank you! Yes, the hero switches do look yummy! This is a great radio, but I may go in a different direction. I do like the idea of installing it on the picatinny rail. Although some off-road enthusiasts mount them close to the roof panels, I want to keep that area clear. I also do not want to install it down low near the shifter or foot well. The rail location seems ideal. The pictures you provided will be very helpful in selecting the proper mount and rail attachments.