How to Remove the Hard Top on the 2021 Ford Bronco

Bronco5.0

Rank VI

Promoter I

May 29, 2020
USA
Member #

We could run a contest of your luck and my luck vs Bronco durability. I’m able to break anything, including unbreakable items! :oops:
In my last Bronco I broke the the back window out while 300ft away. Before that I started down a hill and heard a bang, left the auto trans, torque converter, and a few other parts in the road. Before that, I threw the engine through the hood (don’t ask how) and the first issue I had was I hit a boat... I’ve had a tree fall on it, hit about tons times in the parking lot... my first bronco suffered a fate worse than death. Haha

btw I owned that one for 2.5 years...
I have to get in on this
Brand new GMC truck on top deck of car carrier, low bridge, yup , it was decapitated.:eek:

Word to the wise, don't stand next to Shadowblade during a thunder storm.:LOL:

TorgSurv

Rank VI

Champion II

Jul 13, 2020
Vista, CA, USA
First Name
Blake
Last Name
Torgersen
Member #

With the hard top off, can I put the roof rack back on? I am assuming so but have not seen it shown.
When I asked Esteban (Bronco Brand Manager) about that at the Super-Cel West, he gave the guardedly vague response that more accessory options will be revealed soon, stay tuned. Based on that, I'm hopeful that there will be a solution for that.

Rhiostatic

Rank IV

Champion III

Dec 21, 2020
Phoenixville, PA
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

When I asked Esteban (Bronco Brand Manager) about that at the Super-Cel West, he gave the guardedly vague response that more accessory options will be revealed soon, stay tuned. Based on that, I'm hopeful that there will be a solution for that.
Thank you. This seems like it should be a reasonable request. Being able to put gear on the flat rack as I Baja with the top off was my vision. Strapping some gear down in the back may not be as easy as it sounds at first since some of the items can be long. I see the rack is a pinch style in the rear, so I was hoping not to have to get my local metal shop to build an adaptor for me, a factory solution would be appreciated.

Reactions: TorgSurv

kimmnen

Rank 0

Advocate II

Aug 25, 2020
Michigan
First Name
kim
Last Name
moilanen
How are we going to see out the back with the top stored like this? Will the camera show us what is behind? Kind of detracts from the whole "open air" vibe. Maybe I'll just put it in the bag then in the garage when we want to tool around without the front top. If it rains, we get wet :ROFLMAO:
And from what I understand will not work if you get the late available slide out tailgate that flattens the 4" drop in the cargo area which seems to impact access to the stored jack/tool below the floor. Nice idea for an occasional coolness factor but I think that would wear off quickly. They should have a demo video with some slightly serious off-road so we can see how well the door bags protect. Since this system is only for 4dr, maybe we will see an aftermarket 2 piece fabric/soft door for both 2&4 that could be stacked for 4dr and for 2dr, with longer door, might require a hinged/folding setup to enable fitting in limited cargo area. Overall could be a better bang for the buck vs. the storage bag system.

Buckin'

Rank V

Champion III

Jun 13, 2020
Wilmington, NC, USA
Member #

How are we going to see out the back with the top stored like this? Will the camera show us what is behind? Kind of detracts from the whole "open air" vibe. Maybe I'll just put it in the bag then in the garage when we want to tool around without the front top. If it rains, we get wet :ROFLMAO:
If you've got a 35 on the swing gate, you can barely see anyway :p

Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Don't delete

May 20, 2020
Winona Lake, IN, USA
First Name
Dean
Last Name
Smeltzer
Member #

I am confused by this post. Is Figure 3 in the post something that is being delayed and is there any video of how this config works (especially with a roof rack on)?
The illustration with the rear hatch is on the 2D Modular Hardtop which is a late availability. The standard MIC 2D top does not have the removable hatch.
I don't recall if the hatch can be removed with the roof rack on.

Vigor

Rank V

Promoter III

Dec 31, 2020
Philadelphia, PA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Farrar
Member #

We could run a contest of your luck and my luck vs Bronco durability. I’m able to break anything, including unbreakable items! :oops:
In my last Bronco I broke the the back window out while 300ft away. Before that I started down a hill and heard a bang, left the auto trans, torque converter, and a few other parts in the road. Before that, I threw the engine through the hood (don’t ask how) and the first issue I had was I hit a boat... I’ve had a tree fall on it, hit about tons times in the parking lot... my first bronco suffered a fate worse than death. Haha

btw I owned that one for 2.5 years...
Can you announce what events you plan to attend, so that my Bronco and I stay far away from you lol

• Haha
Reactions: Deano Bronc

Vigor

Rank V

Promoter III

Dec 31, 2020
Philadelphia, PA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Farrar
Member #

While I'm entirely certain a decent amount of Bronco drivers will use this feature, I'm also pretty certain this is a bit gimmicky and we won't see this feature after a few years. I could be wrong though

BroncoStoked

Rank 0

Advocate II

Jan 10, 2021
Lawrenceburg, TN, USA
First Name
Doug
Last Name
Stokes
Member #

Thanks for the short and sweet vid. Definitely the way to go. I like the new Dual-Top options. I'm still leaning MIC, but the painted black is interesting. Also, curious if there are any garage storage systems for hard tops from jeep world that one could use here?

KennyMac

Rank III

Supporter I

Dec 7, 2020
Alabama, USA
First Name
Kenneth
Last Name
MacAllister
Also, curious if there are any garage storage systems for hard tops from jeep world that one could use here?
I'm confident the aftermarket will blow this out of the water. Otherwise, a great little gem I've found is Harbor Freight has a really solid and affordable rolling bicycle storage rack that is easily modified. I took 2 of them, 20 ft of 2" c-channel, some clamps and foam pipe insulation, made a mobile 4 kayak storage rack with life jacket and paddle storage, less than $100 total. My gears are already churning on making one for a roof, doors, and roof panels!

Jakob1972

Rank VI

Champion I

Aug 17, 2020
1030 Park Rd 31, Spring Branch, TX, USA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Jakob
Member #

I'm confident the aftermarket will blow this out of the water. Otherwise, a great little gem I've found is Harbor Freight has a really solid and affordable rolling bicycle storage rack that is easily modified. I took 2 of them, 20 ft of 2" c-channel, some clamps and foam pipe insulation, made a mobile 4 kayak storage rack with life jacket and paddle storage, less than $100 total. My gears are already churning on making one for a roof, doors, and roof panels!
I have an extra Kayak/ bike pulley systems I was going to fashion something from that, if the top is less than 100lbs I can use just the one. My garage has 12 foot ceilings so it should lift it enough.

DeepCreek

Rank IV

Super Supporter II

Nov 28, 2020
McHenry, MD, USA
First Name
Klaus
Last Name
Schmidt
Member #

Glad that you've got the info you need! Also, the record should state that @mitchcreel didn't break a thing on the Filson rig and, to our knowledge, that truck is still running like a dream.
Coming back to this video and the roof rack removal...do we know whether the FE will have the same mounting points and access caps along the top of the windshield frame to accommodate an OEM roof rack when available at some point in the future?

Reactions: BuzzyBud

BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Champion I

Aug 7, 2020
Atkinson, New Hampshire, USA
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Parlee
Member #

DeepCreek

Rank IV

Super Supporter II

Nov 28, 2020
McHenry, MD, USA
First Name
Klaus
Last Name
Schmidt
Member #

In the thread attached I see the roof rack caps which cover the mounting points.

MAP DROP: First Edition In Lightning Blue! Pt. 1 | Bronco Nation Forum (thebronconation.com)
Thanks for sharing the link...makes me begin to (again) rethink my pending decision...I need, 4doors (wife, 2 teenagers and two not so small dogs...) roof rack for the Yakima cargo box and trailer hitch for the Thule bike carrier. I still need to decide on whether to convert my FE reservation and get creative (find an OEM rack somehow and order the Trailer Hitch Kit assembly listed in the Bronco Accessory spreadsheet from the other forum and hope both work) or convert my OBX reservation where I can have both the roof rack and hitch and rest easy after I order with no questions asked...