Supporter II

Aug 7, 2020
New Hampshire, USA
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Parlee
Member #

First off, I have never been to Colorado, but I LOVE the look of Black Bear Pass (BBP).

I have attached a video made by Mike, the LLOD guy, as he drove over BBP with his Jeep buddies. I positioned the start point where they have arrived at the start of BBP. Feel free to watch the entire video since I feel it is one of his best.

I hope some of our BN members have driven over BBP. Mike talks about a section called the “Steps” which has some technical difficulties. Perhaps a good section for testing the Sta Bar Disconnect? Also, the pass has several switchbacks. One of the tightest appears at the 17:30 point in the video. Perhaps a good place to utilize the Trail Turn Assist?

I can not get enough of this stuff! Hope you enjoy it!

tzuercher

Rank IV

Advocate III

Apr 1, 2020
Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Zuercher
Member #

Love Black Bear! I've been over it a few times and was hoping to do it 2 weeks ago with my Bronco Nation buddies but we ran out of time and ran Ophir Pass instead. The steps would probably be a good place for the sway bar disconnect. Trail Turn Assist may be bit helpful on the tightest switchbacks. Unfortunately my '69 doesn't have that feature :).

SlashRacer

Rank VI

Don't delete

May 31, 2020
Otsego, MI, USA
Member #

I've watched several videos on BBP. One of the videos I watched, they became stranded because the rain washed rocks on the trail and it was impossible for them to get through. The trail had to be cleared with an excavator so they could get out. It's one of the places I was looking at going next year.

This is the video. They had an INSANE trip!

gibsBRonCO

Rank II

Advocate III

Mar 21, 2020
Cuchara, CO, USA
Member #

I've done it several times both in my Early Bronco and a Jeep Rubicon. It would be easily doable in a new Bronco especially the 2-door. The 4-door will just require more point turns on a few of the switchbacks. The forward facing camera will help a lot!! As @tzuercher said, the sway bar disconnect will help on the Steps - one spot is a bit off-camber and can be tricky. Black Bear Pass is a very cool trail!

BTW, Google "Youtube German Lady on Black Bear Pass". It's a hoot! (Bill and Elfie Tower video)

Last edited:

allan

Rank V

Supporter III

Feb 26, 2020
Dearborn, MI, USA
First Name
Allan
Last Name
Dunlap
Member #

Love Black Bear! I've been over it a few times and was hoping to do it 2 weeks ago with my Bronco Nation buddies but we ran out of time and ran Ophir Pass instead. The steps would probably be a good place for the sway bar disconnect. Trail Turn Assist may be bit helpful on the tightest switchbacks. Unfortunately my '69 doesn't have that feature :).
@BuzzyBud I was riding with Todd on that trip, and we were disappointed we were not able to do it, but Ophir was pretty spectacular too.

Attachments

SlashRacer

Rank VI

Don't delete

May 31, 2020
Otsego, MI, USA
Member #

SlashRacer

Rank VI

Don't delete

May 31, 2020
Otsego, MI, USA
Member #

Holy crap! Sometimes people get too complacent and forget about how dangerous it can be out there.
Here's some info and the video below.
https://www.thedrive.com/news/37023/this-jeep-wrangler-is-completely-unrecognizable-after-falling-off-colorados-black-bear-pass

“One such accident occurred over the weekend on Oct. 10. A woman and two dogs were in the red Jeep Wrangler pictured below, waiting for the driver to return from helping another car when it slid off the trail, ejecting her while rolling several times. While the vehicle was almost completely destroyed the female passenger survived, albeit with serious injuries.”

Not sure how the truck slid off edge if the driver wasn’t in it.:unsure: Vehicle not in park? Someone knock it out of park? Manual transmission and pop out of gear? How come he didn’t set the EMERGENCY break when he got out?

This is an eye opener and something that could have happened to anyone. Honestly, I don’t I would have set it if I would have gotten out. Going forward, I will ALWAYS SET THE EMERGENCY BRAKE if I am in a situation like that and get out of the vehicle. I’ve seen many vehicles at boat ramps that were put in park, only to roll back in the water.

Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Don't delete

May 20, 2020
Winona Lake, IN, USA
First Name
Dean
Last Name
Smeltzer
Member #

“One such accident occurred over the weekend on Oct. 10. A woman and two dogs were in the red Jeep Wrangler pictured below, waiting for the driver to return from helping another car when it slid off the trail, ejecting her while rolling several times. While the vehicle was almost completely destroyed the female passenger survived, albeit with serious injuries.”

Not sure how the truck slid off edge if the driver wasn’t in it.:unsure: Vehicle not in park? Someone knock it out of park? Manual transmission and pop out of gear? How come he didn’t set the EMERGENCY break when he got out?

This is an eye opener and something that could have happened to anyone. Honestly, I don’t I would have set it if I would have gotten out. Going forward, I will ALWAYS SET THE EMERGENCY BRAKE if I am in a situation like that and get out of the vehicle. I’ve seen many vehicles at boat ramps that were put in park, only to roll back in the water.
Did a little searching and came across this on 6G.
Jeep Accident.jpg

allan

Rank V

Supporter III

Feb 26, 2020
Dearborn, MI, USA
First Name
Allan
Last Name
Dunlap
Member #

@David after watching the video and reading about the incident, do you think it’s possible to have a safety section added to the forum? We have a lot of first timers who have never owned a 4x4.
Good suggestion. We will discuss this with the moderator team!